Spongeknuckle Street

The Mayor of Spongeknuckle Street now has a place he can use to muse, gripe, ponder and hype. Order!

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Doing my Civic Doodie

Election time, again. I must admit I haven't been as pumped up about this one, which was foreseeable after the other two in recent months. This would be a piece of cake back home in Victoria, where I know the candidates well. Up here in the Comox Valley riding, we have two very weak-ass hopefuls for the two main parties -- plus a Green I haven't heard of. The NDPer and the Lib are both obviously just trying to ride the provincial wave created by their respective parties into office. The CV was formerly represented by the late Stan Hagen, who is somewhat of a local legend. Had he not suddenly died last year, I would probably find it easy to back him (were he running yet again). There is something to be said for having a cabinet minister as your local MLA.

Typically, I get fed up with the large-scale election battles (provs & feds) and dig into the local arguments, picking the person I see as the best for community interests. This is why I get into the municipal votes most intensely. It's truly a shame the most vital level of government, the one where individuals can have the most direct influence, gets the lowest participation and election turnout by far.

Anyhow, I simply can't bring myself to support the party lead by the current premier (pictured) for another term. True, his team has been good for business, and my taxes are probably lower by having them in office. But at what cost? My hometown of Victoria is turning into a junkie wasteland thanks to the corresponding cuts. Here on Denman Island, my worry is the school may have to close down one day -- and we'd like to be directly involved in that place eventually. Having seen first-hand the way health boards operate like private corporations now, I can safely say that ain't working out so well. BC Hydro is in danger of going into serious profit-making mode, which would hit us all directly and drastically. BC Ferries is soon to be my employer, so there's that to consider also -- who will better protect those jobs, and who will be more small island-friendly in dealing with ferries?

For lack of an outstanding local candidate, I think this time I have to vote by party to protect my interests. Hopefully our new MLA will turn out to be a pleasant surprise, and will be on the influential side of the Leg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home