Two Minutes for Hacking
Just before leaving for our X-Canada adventure, I took a two day course to become a Hockey Canada certified referee. It's something I've wanted to try for several years, but my work schedule got in the way -- and I wasn't sure where to go for some basic instruction. During the summer, I spotted a poster for a course in late August. Picture a room full of 12-14 year old kids, and me. I scored decently on the exam, though I'm sure many of those kids did better than I.I haven't done any minor hockey games yet (which is what the certification was all about). Instead, I've been filling in for some of the officials who work my own team's games -- and some of the teams we play against as well (beer league, non-contact adult rec hockey). Informal stuff, no certification required, cash paid at the end of the game. I think I'm up to six games under my belt now.
Tonight's was my best yet, I think. A contest between the Jets and Titans (two rivals of my own club, the Knuckleheads). I feel I blew the fewest number of calls of any of my games so far. In all, I handed out three minors, one major, and a penalty shot. There were plenty of things I could have called, as players from both sides let me know many times. Alas, when it's one guy responsible for calling the lines, goals AND penalties, stuff gets missed. No matter what you do, you'll get flak if you're wearing stripes out there. I kind of already knew that. I'm looking forward to the first chance to penalize someone for excessive complaining.
I may be getting a regular weekly gig as a ref in the new year. And one of these days, I'll get around to doing some of the kids stuff too. This has been a nice challenge -- one I'm up for! I love being involved in the game of hockey, and this is a new angle on things for me.


2 Comments:
man. i'd NEVER complain to a ref that was in the mafia.
fahget abot it.
dude that is rad.
Post a Comment
<< Home