Spongeknuckle Street

The Mayor of Spongeknuckle Street now has a place he can use to muse, gripe, ponder and hype. Order!

Saturday, December 16, 2006

We Were There! (A Hockey Post)

Last Tuesday, Dad and I went on a short spin just down the block -- to the Saddledome! The Flames were playing their final pre-Christmas home game, versus the Minnesota Wild. It turned out to be a historic night, the 10th consecutive win at home for my beloved heroes. Dad scored the tickets through a work associate who knows one of the NHL owners. Apparently, all team owners have tickets set aside for any game, any rink in the league! I suppose operating a franchise should have a few perks like that.

We were sitting 12th row, club seats, lower bowl, just inside the Calgary attacking blue line -- just an awesome view of the action. Dion Phaneuf (pictured) is even more impressive in person with his rocket slapshot and heavy hits. Everytime he threw the body along the boards, a BOOM would thunder throughout the 'Dome! The Flames won 5-2, Alex Tanguay opening the scoring with a breakaway top-shelf goal right in front of us. Fantastic!!

It was another whirlwind trip, just like Dad and I did back in the 2004 playoffs (Game 3 vs. Vancouver). We flew out Tuesday morning first thing, hung out with Uncle Don for some lunch, had a nap, and met Dad's friends for dinner out. Don and his wife Johanna came along; he shares season tickets with some others and it so happened one of his was for this Minnesota game. They were sitting up high, where all the rowdy lunatic Flames fans are. Most of the people down low aren't exactly the face-painting, flag-waving crowd. You see that in Vancouver too, and I'm sure its the same everywhere. The best seats are snapped up by the corporate types (like us this time!). It's too bad to see empty seats when you know thousands of hardcore fans would love to use them.

The trip home took a diversion, thanks to the wind here in Victoria Wednesday morning. As our Westjet plane came in for a landing, we were being tossed about by some pretty strong crosswinds. I was feeling queazy, and had my airsick back within reach, just in case. As we crossed over the Pat Bay Highway, the pilot made a last second decision to abort the landing. We instead landed in Vancouver, where we were told the plane was being sent back to Calgary to await a window in the weather. Well, I needed to get home to prepare for the homecoming of The Bethy! She'd been in Phoenix visiting, and was due home that night. I hadn't done all the cleaning made necessary by five days on my own, and Dad took pity on me. I guess he's been in similar situations! We got off in Vancouver and caught the next ferry to the island.

So t'was a remarkable 36 hour jaunt to see family, friends and Flames. Thanks Dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home